MILAN (IT) - This museum, designed by Italo Rota and Fabio Fornassi with light designer Alessandro Perdetti, is located in the centre of Milan, inside the Palazzo dell'Arengario. The core of the building from 1937 was removed and the resulting spaces reconfigured to house a sizeable collection of 20th-century Italian art.
In the middle of the museum is a large, spiral ramp with an aquamarine floor, and LED lights integrated in both balustrade and ceiling. Light is also used to gently guide visitors through the museum. Thus, the doorways of the various exhibition spaces are outlined by flat light modules, creating a series of 'light portals' marking out the route through the building.
To provide a calm backdrop for the artworks, all the walls and floors are done in the same neutral colours. The ceiling light elements, which cast an even, diffuse light, are arranged as linear bands or squares in accordance with the corresponding floor surface. On the top floor, offsetting the rigid geometry and monumentality of the Fascist-era building, hangs a huge light sculpture by Lucio Fontana. (Kim Hoefnagels)
Colour, Conversion, Interior, Light |