#4 July/Aug 2005
ST ALBANS (UK)
- Muf's first realized building is a pavilion for a Roman mosaic.
United Kingdom | Cordula Zeidler
- Part of a larger ensemble of urban projects, the restaurant by Santa-Rita Architects reflects the difficulties of creating...
Portugal | Pedro Gadanho
- Architect Jószef Kocsis, together with his two sons, designed a Protestant church with campanile for an artists' town on the...
Hungary | Emiel Lamers
- AllesWirdGut has designed a square with a completion time of ten years on the site of a former steelworks.
Luxembourg | Oliver Elser
Overview of contents
On the spot
News and observations
- The acoustic barrier-cum-showroom by Kas Oosterhuis / ONL along the A2 motorway between Amsterdam and Utrecht (NL)
- Transylvanian manga: the conversion of a brick-vaulted basement in Romania into a cool bar space
- Günther Behnisch's new building for the Akademie der Künste on Potsdamer Platz seems to bring modernism back to Berlin's centre (DE)
- The much-discussed expansion of St. Petersburg's Mariinsky Theatre (RU)
- Zechner & Zechner's airport control tower in Vienna (AT)
- An overview of the new stadiums that have been built for the 2006 Football World Cup in Germany
- Recent plans for remodelling late modernist ensembles show how out of touch Berlin (DE) is with the current international debate on cities
- House or sculpture? A fairytale-like apartment block in Copenhagen (DK)
- An alumnus' view on the search for a new chairman of London's Architectural Association (UK)
- and more…
- HS99's competition-winning design for the university library in Katowice (PL) offers both an architectural and an urban intervention
- ANCE's competition for a house of the future provides opportunities for the younger generation of architects (IT)
- Europan winners exe-arquitectos improve Tromsø (NO) with their urban interventions
Youth services building in Tallaght (IE) by Henchion-Reuter Architects
- Young architects BWK from Zurich became local heroes by winning a competition for Lausanne's Art Museum (CH)
- Centra Nams in Riga: a mixed-use complex designed by Ugis Senbergs (LV)
- Danish office HLT proposes an aluminium-clad concert hall for Uppsala (SE)
- AllesWirdGut transforms the site of a former steelworks in Esch-sur-Alzette (LU) into a public square
Andreas Hild: Hyper-realist
Andreas Hild of Hild und K works on the poetic enhancement of everyday architecture. It is not inventions that interest him but discoveries. 'It is my job to recognize beauty and, in a kind of hyper-realistic architecture, to find a crystallization point I can use to explain what I see to someone else.'
- Muf's first realized building is a pavilion for a Roman mosaic in St Albans (UK)
- Urban park restaurant in Beja (PT) by Santa-Rita Architects
- For Enric Ruiz-Geli fantasy is a potent architectural instrument, as two of his recent projects, Villa Bio and Villa Nurbs, reveal (ES)
- Italo Rota's library design for the San Sisto neighbourhood of Perugia (IT)
- Veronika Valk's sports centre in rural Suure-Jaani (EE) is described by locals as a 'vegetable soup'
- The conversion of an office building in Hamburg (DE) into a residential complex by blauraum
- Jószef Kocsis, together with his two sons, designed a Protestant church in Szentendre (HU), an artists' town on the Danube
- Dietmar Feichtinger has transformed the image of stacked containers into a port building in Gennevilliers (FR)
- Geir Brendeland and Olav Kristoffersen designed an apartment building in Trondheim (NO) that lives up to its solid timber appearance
- Caramel's house in Linz (AT) is wrapped in yellow-beige lorry tarpaulin and was designed for a four-year-old girl
- The Tor Vergata Laboratories in Rome (IT) by IaN+
Focusing on European countries, cities and regions
- BTC City, Slovenia's largest shopping and entertainment complex, is far more than a mall – it's a phenomenon in its own right. But is it a comfortable refuge from the conventional city or a threat to Ljubljana's historical centre?
- From the moment the Modern Movement gained a foothold in Catalonia (ES), local architects have interpreted it in their own pragmatic way. Five recent projects demonstrate that this 'new realism' is alive and well
- Free to choose among alternatives, Lithuanian architects have been re-establishing the value of their profession as creators of form and space. An architectural tour guide to Vilnius (LT)
Buildings that already get their share of media attention
Sauerbruch & Hutton designed a thoroughly ecological building for the Federal Environmental Agency on a former gasworks in Dessau (DE). Christian Welzbacher describes what he finds behind its colourful facades.