SIÓFOK (HU) - In the Hungarian resort town of Siófok, a large shopping centre (18,500 m2) was completed at the end of 2011, designed by A4 studio in Budapest. The so-called Sió Plaza can be added to the growing list of contemporary architecture around Lake Balaton. In A10 #35 there appeared an update on six buildings located around Central Europe's largest lake, including Club 218, an apartment complex and wellness centre by A4 Studio, also in Siófok. Even a minimalist white villa on the north side of the lake (see A10 #38) belongs to this series of contemporary architecture in the region.
Formerly at the site of the new, all-white shopping centre was a department store from the 1960s and a dilapidated apartment building, both demolished in 2008. The centre is located between two local landmarks: on the east side, a water tower constructed in 1912, and to the west a historical building from 1895 nicknamed 'The Pub', where a beautiful oval room once served as a chic restaurant. In the likewise totally refurbished freestanding water tower is currently located the tourism office, while 'The Pub' part has become a complex which includes a bookstore and café. The refitting of the pedestrian plaza, also designed by A4 studio and located off the main entrance of the complex, was part of the overall revitalization plan from Sió invest Kft., the developer of the new building.
Besides the many shops, the complex contains a few restaurants, two cinemas and a bowling centre. The oblique lines of the fashionable 'spiderweb' south facade, according to architect Geza Kendik, ensure additional shadow on the large glass surfaces. Additionally, much attention was paid to the roof of the building, in contrast to the usually large, flat roof planes of shopping centres. To admire this 'fifth wall' it is best to climb the adjacent water tower, and thereby enjoy the beautiful view over the lake.
Sió Plaza, 2011
Architect: A4 studio
Location: Szabadság tér 4, Siófok
Leisure, Shopping |