Synagogue, Dresden (2001)
During the night of the pogrom, on 9 November 1938, the Dresden Synagogue, designed by Gottfried Semper and inaugurated a century earlier, was completely destroyed. The city's Jewish community, which grew strongly after the fall of the Berlin Wall due to an influx of immigrants from the former Soviet Union, opted for a new building on the same site. The footprint of its predecessor remained untouched, however. The twisted cube of the prayer hall follows the new topography and the traditional eastern alignment.
Hinzert Document Centre (2006)
On the site of one of the many 'everyday' concentration camps, there is nothing to bring to mind what happened here between 1938 and 1945. The amorphous structure, a chassis-like construction made of Cor-Ten steel, is home to a small exhibition. A large historical photo printed on the only window serves to superimpose the reality of camp life on the present-day idyll.
Documentation Centre for the History of National Socialism, Munich (2008)
Entry for the competition for the reconstruction of 'Braunes Haus', the Nazi Party headquarters, as a documentation centre. The facade and volume of the classicist original, which was destroyed by bombs during World War II, were to be subjected to a contemporary re-interpretation, with the original building being outlined but not reconstructed.
Archaeological Zone Cologne (2008–2012)
A building as protective structure, with an uninterrupted 40-metre span across the excavation area. The ground floor remains free, with the two floors above housing the museum. The vast, underused square adjacent to the Cologne City Hall is the result of bombing during World War II and is now being redefined in favour of the re-creation of the once dense mesh of buildings.